Arizona is a developed state in the United States with a desert climate. The state has a thriving economy driven by its flourishing industries, like healthcare. As a robust sector, there are exciting developments in Arizona’s healthcare, including the use of medical cannabis as a medication.
The use of the cannabis plant as medicine was legalized in the state in 2015. Among the approved applications of medical cannabis is for the treatment of anorexia. However, you need to secure a medical marijuana card in Arizona before you can use it as a treatment.
What is Anorexia?
Anorexia nervosa is a mental health condition in which patients use extreme approaches to control their weight and physical appearance. It is an eating abnormality characterized by an intense fear of weight gain and a very slim body. People with the condition do anything to continue to lose weight or avoid gains in body mass.
Anorexics are always focusing their efforts on how to lose weight. To control their weight, they may take actions like vomiting to spew out the food they eat and abusing diet aids, enemas, diuretics, and laxatives. They may also resort to vigorous or strenuous exercises to lose body mass.
Signs and Symptoms of Anorexia
Anorexia is hard to identify as it may look like an effort to achieve a sexy physical appearance. However, there are several visible psychological, physical, and behavioral symptoms of the condition. Here are some of them:
- The appearance of soft hairs on the body
- Abnormal heartbeats and blood counts
- Dry or yellowing skin and swollen arms or legs
- Extreme weight loss or gaunt physical appearance
- Hair loss and bluish fingers
- Low blood pressure, insomnia, and fatigue
- Dizziness or fainting
- Excessive exercising
- Constant complaints about weight gain or being obese
- Refusing to eat or denying hunger
- Irritability, depressed mood, and suicidal ideation
- Consumption of diet aids, laxatives, enemas, and herbal supplements
Benefits of Medical Marijuana as Anorexia Treatment
Several medical studies have found beneficial effects of cannabis as a treatment of various diseases like anorexia. It can help anorexic patients in different phases of their recovery. Here are some of the benefits of medical marijuana as anorexia treatment:
- It stimulates your appetite to help you crave and eat sufficient amounts of food.
- It can help you relax and fight feelings of depression and anxiety.
- It can help improve your sleep to avoid fatigue and insomnia.
- It may limit your urge to do strenuous or vigorous exercises
Medical cannabis can be useful in the management of your anorexia. To purchase the product in authorized dispensaries, you should always bring your medical marijuana card in Arizona.
Other Suggested Anorexia Management Strategies
Treating anorexia may require a comprehensive treatment plan. Here are some of the potential components of your treatment:
- Psychotherapy to change your thoughts and behavior about weight gain.
- Group/Family Therapy to gain the support of your loved ones towards your recovery.
- Hospitalization to ensure health professionals can monitor your condition round-the-clock.
- Nutritional counseling to help you eat the proper nutrients necessary for your recovery.
Recovering from anorexia can be a complicated process for you. However, with the use of several medical remedies and the support of your loved ones, you can recover from your disease and start a new healthy life.