Image source: Storyblocks
There are a million and one things to arrange when moving house, so it isn’t surprising that sometimes things get overlooked. For many Australian homeowners, moving is stressful at the best of times, what with the concern that always comes when a group of total strangers manhandles their precious possessions onto a truck, and in order to help ensure that all goes well, here are a few things that are often overlooked when planning a move.
- 1. Notifying Essential Services – The plumber, electrician, and roofing company all need to be informed of your impending relocation. If the move is not far, you might wish to retain their services, but even then, you need to inform them of your new address. If you are moving out of the area, then these providers need to be told that you will no longer require their services. The best way to do this is to go through your smartphone memory, where you would store all the essential numbers. When looking for removalists Gold Coast residents choose a local company that has a good reputation within the community, which can easily be found with an online search.
- 2. Settling Up With Utility Companies – You must inform the utility providers that you no longer require the connection and wish to clear your outstanding account. Let’s not forget arranging for the power and water to be connected at the new address, as you will need to have lighting and running water upon arrival.
- 3. Change Of Address For Subscriptions – You might subscribe to a magazine or three, and these companies need to know your new address, or if you are no longer interested, you can terminate the subscription, giving the appropriate notice. You should ask other family members if there are any subscriptions that are not on your list, just in case. For some great moving tips, there are articles available online that every homeowner could use.
- 4. Cleaning The New Home – The last thing you need is to arrive at a dirty house, so enlist the help of a local cleaning company who can ensure that everything is spotless when you arrive. If you have the time, this is something that you and your family can do, as there is no better time for a spring clean that when you are about to move in. It is a good idea to have a clean-up at the old home, which also gives you an opportunity to check that you haven’t forgotten anything.
Image Source: Unsplash
- 5. The Keys To The New Property – This might sound obvious, yet people do forget and arrive at the new home and cannot gain access. It is easy to overlook something like this, as you have so many other things on your mind, so make a list of things to do and include taking possession of the keys to the new abode.
Image Source: Unsplash
With some careful planning and a good removal company in your corner, the relocation should go without a hitch and you can look forward to the next exciting chapter of your life.